Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Interesting Article -- Some Foods Are Healthier Than You (AND I) Think...

I spend alot of time tracking what I eat and looking for new ways to keep my protein up and carbs down without sacrificing taste.  Sure, boiled chicken breasts are lean and mean, but tasteless as well (in my opinion of course).  But if I broil a chicken breast with lemon, black pepper and sage on top, it tastes much better and is still good for me.  Eating healthy doesn't have to be a horrible experience.  Food can be healthy AND tasty at the same time (read my article about that here).  But anyhoo, I digress...

Today, I came across an interesting article on one of my favorite nutrition and wellness websites:  http://www.ivillage.com.  iVillage has a whole slew of topics on their site, but I read their "Health" section on a pretty regular basis.  The article I read was titled, "50 Foods That Are Healthier Than You Think".  Nutrition experts were asked to share the unhealthy foods that may be better for our bodies than we actually realize, and turns out there are 50.  Here are some highlights that caught my attention:

Pasta

Moderate glycemic index, high in folic acid, and naturally low in fat

Chocolate Milk

Yummy, and a good post-workout recovery drink


Iceberg Lettuce

Higher in alpha-carotene (antioxidant) than spinach

Dandelions

Apparently good for your liver and your digestion (interesting)

Beer

Moderate intake (1 per day for women, 2 for men) is good for your brain, heart and bones


There were 45 others included as well, so make sure you go read the entire post.  In the meantime, who's ready to go pull and cook up some dandelions!?


No comments:

Post a Comment