Friday, February 8, 2013

Eating a Healthy Breakfast on the Road

To my roadies out there, you know how challenging it can be to keep up a good nutrition routine while travelling.  One of my biggest challenges personally is breakfast.  Now, I buy into the stigma that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  Not only does it jump start your metabolism after a night of fasting, but it gets your nutrition on the right track for the rest of the day (if you do it right).  While at home, I typically go for Cheerios and milk with a banana, or egg whites and peanut butter toast, or even a yummy smoothie.  But on the road, I can't exactly pack a blender or cook eggs (well... I COULD, but who has time for that).  So, I am forced to grab something on the road. 

Keeping affordability and convenience in mind, here are some of my top on-the-road, convenient breakfast options...
  1. McDonalds:  If you think about CONVENIENCE, McDonalds is certainly at the top of the list.  Sadly though, most of the breakfast items on their menu are fatty, high in sodium and full of empty calories.  But eating a healthy breakfast at McDonalds is possible.  Here is what I would opt for:
    • Option #1 (Total Calories = 410 kcals)
      • Oatmeal w/o brown sugar (260 kcals)
      • Fruit 'n Yogurt parfait (150 kcals)
    • Option #2 (Total Calories = 350 kcals)
      • Egg McMuffin (300 kcals)
      • Apple slices (50 kcals)
  2. Gas Station:  No, I'm not crazy!  With a delicate eye (or my help), you will notice there are a few hidden gems that can help you keep the caloric intake and carbohydrates down, but nutrition and protein up:
    • Option #1 (Total Calories = 385 kcals)
      • Belvita Breakfast Cookies (230 kcals)
      • Hard-boiled eggs - 2 pack (155 kcals)
    • Option #2 (Total Calories = 320 kcals)
      • Hard-boiled eggs - 2 pack (155 kcals)
      • Banana (105 kcals)
      • String Cheese (60 kcals)
    • Option #3 (Total Calories = 280 kcals)
      • Green Machine Naked Juice (280 kcals)
  3. Subway:  If there are not alot of breakfast options, Subway is a good choice as well.  If you want something hot, there are plently of options here.  I won't list them out, but anything on FLATBREAD WITH EGG WHITES is a safe bet in the 200 - 300 calorie range.  I add apple slices to it as well, to ensure I am satisfied.
There are other options as well.  The most important thing is to know and be conscious of what you are putting in your body.  GL!

No comments:

Post a Comment