Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Why You Should Consider Morning Workouts



I absolutely LOVE working out in the morning! Yes, there are days I would rather sleep in. No, it isn't always easy to drag myself out of the bed. BUT, I never regret it. Here's why...

1. It gets my metabolism going - Exercise burns calories - during and after you workout. By starting the day with exercise, you are revving up your metabolism early in the day.
2. It helps keep me focused - I have found that I am far more likely to make healthy eating choices when I start the day with a workout. If I'm waking up early (4:30 for me), it should absolutely count! Bad eating choices during the day will cancel out my hard work, so I make better choices!
3. There are fewer excuses first thing in the morning - By the end of the day, we can all come up with a million excuses why we shouldn't exercise. :-) In the morning, there are simply fewer.

So what if you honestly can't get your workout complete in the morning? Well here are a few tips to help you reap the same benefits.

1. Do a short morning workout. When I don't have time to workout in the morning (or if I hit snooze too many times to make it to the gym), I do a 5-10 minute workout just to get my day going. I'll throw in stuff like jumping jacks, jogging in place, squats, sit-ups, burpees, mountain climbers, etc
2. Split your workout.  Some days I do my cardio or my lifting in the morning & then do the other half after work. Or if it's a day when I am trying to get a lot of cardio in - I'll do half in the morning & half later.
3. Don't commit to it EVERY day! Be realistic! Waking up early every day might not be realistic for you. If that's the case, just commit to 2 or 3 days per week & stick to it.

But in all fairness, the best time to work out is whenever you will actually do it!
 It's different for everyone! 

When do you workout? Why? 

No comments:

Post a Comment